Rains ISD is proud of the instructional, behavioral, and related services provided on each campus. Services are provided to children ages three through twenty-one. For students with visual and auditory disabilities, services may begin at birth. Rains ISD provides specially designed instruction for students with disabilities in a variety of settings or combinations of settings. Several principles apply when decisions are made by an Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) Committee about services to individual students, including:
* Decisions are always based upon an evaluation of the student's current level of functioning and the unique needs of the child.
* Students are not grouped by disability but by educational need.
* The educational setting is not defined by the teacher's role but by the student's needs.
* The instructional arrangement is assigned to the student, and special education teachers or paraprofessionals may provide a variety of services throughout the day with an emphasis on opportunities to interact with age-appropriate non-disabled peers.
Special services are provided to students who are eligible for Special Education. Eligibility is determined by the Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee based on the student's disability and demonstrated need for specially designed instruction. Disability categories designated by law include:
* Orthopedic Impairment
* Other Health Impairment
* Visual Impairment
* Auditory Impairment
* Intellectual Disability
* Emotional Disturbance
* Specific Learning Disability
* Speech Impairment
* Traumatic Brain Injury
* Non-categorical Early Childhood